Monday, May 29, 2006

Indiana Academy graduation, 2006

I spent this Saturday at the Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics and the Humanities in Muncie, Indiana. The school flattered me greatly by asking me to give the commencement address. So I did, and had a great time doing it. I was also thrilled to see that there were about 140 kids graduating. When I graduated in 1997, fewer than 100 of us walked across the Emens Auditorium stage. It's great that this public, residential school for gifted kids is growing. May it continue to do so!

You can read my speech at my website.

I am happy to report that the graduates did not throw rotten eggs at me. In fact, some seemed to like the speech :)


Jan said...

Laura, Thanks for sharing the text of your commencement address. I'm certain that the Indiana Academy graduates enjoyed the speech and benefited from your message. Your speech reminded me of what my father often said: "the harder I work, the luckier I get."

Stormia said...

Just so you know, I loved the speech, as did the rest of my family.


Laura Vanderkam said...

Thanks Stormia - I'm so glad you liked it!