Monday, September 18, 2006

Genius on CNN

I hope some of you were able to catch the Dr. Sanjay Gupta special on "Genius" on CNN last night (and my apologies for not promoting it on this blog before hand). The hour-long show covered quite a lot, dancing over everything from prodigious savants (I was especially fascinated by one young man who was able to recall any date's day of the week, weather, and what he did, after he got hit in the head with a baseball) to the Davidson Academy in Reno. It even featured a quick shot of the cover of Genius Denied.

My general take-away is that the brain is a strange organ that we're only beginning to understand. We have a very hard time separating out how much of intelligence is nature or nurture (as evidenced by the "Center for Germinal Choice" bit on the offspring of the Nobel Prize winners sperm bank). But regardless of what leads to genius, we should nurture it where we find it. Did anyone else see the show? I'd love to hear your opinions.

3 comments:

Quiltsrwarm said...

Hey Laura...
I missed the piece by Dr. Gupta -- I had every intention of watching it, but I got on the Internet and I forgot about all it. :)

The bit I saw Sunday morning, though, a short piece on Matt Savage, interested me, but it gave me the impression that the focus of the story was on savants and their brains, not necessarily gifteds in general. Too bad I didn't tune in - sounds like it would have been a good view.

rocksea said...

The report was very interesting. I was fascinated by how little we understand about the human mind and the unbelievable capacity it has. I was saddened by how little the U.S. spends to educate our gifted children. Maybe by shedding some light on that fact things can change.

Anonymous said...

I saw it amd liked it. It was nice to see the Davidsons in action and know where they came from (both literally & metaphorically). But it was more entertainment than education - as a 1 hour program or the brain might just have to be. The savants were the most entertaining, and the autistic pianist was fascinating. The picture of the more intellegent person's brain lighting up less (needing to work less hard) on a similiar problem was the opposite of what I expected - but made sense!