Thursday, October 12, 2006

Gifted Exchange Turns One

About two weeks ago, Gifted Exchange celebrated its first birthday (it was a small ceremony, no cake!) I've been pleased with the steady levels of traffic the blog is drawing, and the number of posts from readers. Of course, I'd love to see this blog grow, too! So today's post is more of a plea for feedback from those of you who have checked in over the past year:

1. What would you like to see more of on Gifted Exchange?
2. What do you like? Don't like?
3. Did any posts cause you to do something differently or think about something differently? (Which one?)
4. How can I share Gifted Exchange with a broader audience?

I really appreciate any thoughts. You're welcome to email me privately as well: lvanderkam at yahoo dot com. Thanks! Laura


Anonymous said...

1) Link directly to the blog from the main website. Fix the link from "Read the latest news about the gifted" at the bottom left of the website so it works. (It doesn't with my Internet Explorer.)

2) Send an informational e-mail with link to the gifted education coordinators in each state, asking that it be forwarded to principals and teachers focusing on gifted education.

3) Include more information on how teachers can motivate and accommodate the gifted in the classroom, especially with class sizes around 40 that include learning disabled students.

anonymous said...

I know that as an American, you obviously dwell on issues in American gifted education, but as a resident of Australia, I can say that my country is starving for adequate gifted programs. The eradication of our major writing competition, 'Nestle Write Around Australia' has left budding writers with nothing but weak local competitions to test their talents in, and most teachers demand IQ tests for gifted students. That means that even if a child has an estimated IQ 170+, most schools will deny the child anything above what the teachers have readily available in class, if the parents never test the child (political, financial, or personal reasons). If you could provide information about international gifted programs as well as domestic US ones, that would be greatly appreciated by the rest of us who are lost at what to do!

B said...

Hi Laura,

I was gonna say what the Australian said. I live in Denmark. I turn to your website because it has great insights and interesting articles - and I know this is stupid, but I do feel excluded everytime I read about how this or that affects the US competitive advantages - because I feel the cause of gifted children (people) are greater than any nations interests.. By the way - hoagiesgifted and others do provide ínternational links -and I don't expect this blog to be a one stop shop - so keep it up

Anonymous said...

I find this blog somewhat interesting, but it lacks the dynamic discussions of the mailing lists and chat boards.

Laura's point of view on any issue is highly predictable (and a bit too right-wing for my taste---vouchers are not likely to help gifted kids much).

Laura Vanderkam said...

I'm thrilled to learn this blog is attracting a reasonable number of international readers. That's great! Most of my regular sources for posts are in the U.S.; I would really appreciate if readers outside the U.S. would send along links to any international press on gifted education, or happenings in other countries. I'd be happy to write about these issues... they're just a little bit harder for me to find. Thank you!