Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The Obama Speech

In case anyone missed it, there's a transcript of President Obama's speech to America's schoolchildren here.

In general, I thought it was a good speech. I had a few favorite sections. For instance, I appreciated that he challenged children not to think of themselves as victims:

"At the end of the day, the circumstances of your life – what you look like, where you come from, how much money you have, what you’ve got going on at home – that’s no excuse for neglecting your homework or having a bad attitude. That’s no excuse for talking back to your teacher, or cutting class, or dropping out of school. That’s no excuse for not trying."

I also appreciated his realism: "I know that sometimes, you get the sense from TV that you can be rich and successful without any hard work -- that your ticket to success is through rapping or basketball or being a reality TV star, when chances are, you’re not going to be any of those things." No, you will not, and as he noted, "No one’s born being good at things, you become good at things through hard work."

I'm curious what others thought of the speech, and what your children thought, too.

6 comments:

Kevin said...

I agree it was a good speech. Politically, it was center-right, about where Obama falls on the political spectrum internationally.

Anonymous said...

Our children did not have an opportunity to hear the speech at school due to concern from parents/community. I thought it was inspirational, not very political or religious in nature. I will show it to my children over the weekend and some teachers at school may show it if it fits into the general curriculum.

Cheryl said...

My son (5th grade) and most of his friends thought it was too long--and boring. I have a feeling most of the K-6 set probably felt that way.

Paula Ponzo said...

My daughter did not see it. I was very disappointed. i called the school and said that i received the automated call on Fri. saying that the speech was going to be shown on Tue. and if you don't want your child to see it, send in a note!!!! I WANTED HER TO SEE IT!! When i called the school to find out why it wasn't shown, i got the usual blah, blah, blah!! I was told it was up to the individual teachers to show it or not! My child was allowed to opt out, i didn't know i had to send a note to opt in!!!!! i looked on the internet for the video and was not able to find it. if anyone can tell me where i might find it i would appreciate the info. I did find the written version, but i think seeing it being presented from the President is an important aspect of it. Thanks, Paula Ponzo

Keith & Jodi said...

My son might be seeing it this afternoon. The school taped it and left it up to the Social Studies teachers as to whether the kids will see it today. I'm hoping she shows it, and if not, I will allow him to watch it over the weekend.

I still don't get the controversy. There is nothing wrong with telling kids to work hard and stay in school.

Kevin said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iqsxCWjCvI
has the speech
http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/ has the trasncript.