Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Family vacations

We've been pondering where to take a family vacation this year. I'm going to register Jasper for kindergarten today, and I realized that this is the last year we'll be able to travel at non-peak times (without it being a bit of a fuss -- though kindergarten is only half-day in these parts, so we're still easing a bit into school). Anyway, it reminded me of a post I meant to share with Gifted Exchange readers, written by Kristen (aka "The Frugal Girl") on her blog called "Why I homeschool my children." One of the reasons was the freedom to go places at times that didn't correspond with school breaks. It is true that few family-friendly destinations are really busy the last week of September. I thought you all would enjoy the essay, so here it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that blog--I really enjoyed it.

She clearly has LOTS of reasons that led her to choose homeschooling, with the vacation thing being only a tiny one of her reasons. So just to make you feel better about the vacation thing, I have a 5th & 7th grader in our strong but imperfect public school system. We have taken a family vacation every single year in March or May (non-school vacation times for us). Even in 7th grade, it was not too difficult for my son to keep up. Of course, if he was struggling right now, that would be a different story. But it continues to be worth it to us to vacation during less-busy times.

We also take at least 2 random days off during the year to go into the city, etc. And our school has "in-service" days 3 or 4 times per year for teacher training, which tend not to be vacation days for other districts. Great days to go skiing with no lift lines, or to museums or whatever! Perhaps when our kids reach high school we won't be able to do this? So, to me, it clearly shouldn't be anyone's main reason to homeschool, just a lovely bonus!

Kristen@TheFrugalGirl said...

Thanks for the link, Laura!

In a few years, Joshua will likely begin taking classes at a local community college, so we're trying to savor our last few years of off-season vacations. :)