Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Math of Khan

Last summer, I wrote several posts about Salman Khan and the Khan Academy. I was researching the topic for a feature piece for City Journal, the magazine of the Manhattan Institute. The feature has (finally!) been posted online, and you can read "The Math of Khan" by following that link.

A few other items: I'm also writing about Laura Overdeck's quest to spread the concept of a "bedtime math problem." Gifted Exchange readers may remember Overdeck from her quest to save New Jersey's Governor's School a few years ago. The idea behind Bedtime Math (follow that link to sign up for the daily email) is that kids learn to love language and understand plot naturally from bedtime stories. Why not learn to love math through cozy bedtime math problems too? If the world of the future will require deep math understanding, it helps to view math as a familiar thing, like a first language.

And finally, after years of writing about schools, I am about to experience them as a parent. This week, I took my 4-year-old to register for kindergarten for next year. It was a very straightforward experience, very different from what my life would be like right now if we were still in New York and having to apply different places. He'll be attending our local public school, which is less than a mile from our house. I'm excited about moving into this new phase of our lives and seeing my little boy grow up. And I'm sure being on this side of the American education experience will give me plenty more to write about!

3 comments:

Lainie said...

Funny you should mention. My kids and I regularly talk math at night as we snuggle. Glad to know I'm not totally out there...

Anonymous said...

We use bedtime for all kinds of things. Some nights we read (OK, most nights we read), but many nights I'll hear my husband and son talking through all kinds of things... math, science, history, you name it. It's such a great time of day to just snuggle up and talk about whatever we find interesting.

Raising a Happy Child said...

Good luck with K! I've been very nervous going the route of local public school, but so far it's been great. Daughter adores everything school related and thinks that she has the best teacher in the world. I hope she still thinks the same next year in the first grade.